Installing Desktop front-end
This page describes the steps to install the Fōrmulæ Desktop, the standard front-end for the Fōrmulæ technology.
- An Linux, Mac OS X, Windows or Solaris operating system.
- The runtime environment for Java Standard or Enterprise edition, version 7 or later. It can be the Oracle or OpenJDK.
- Do not you have Java installed ? Download it from the Oracle page.
- Around 7 Mb of disk space.
It is highly recommended that you also download and read the desktop.pdf
- Create a new, empty directory (folder) in your computer. The name and location do not matter, but it is recommended that the name has no spaces.
- Unpack the content of the desktop.zip on that new directory.
Into the directory, you will see that there is a file named desktop.jar. Usually is as simple as just double-clicking it.
Launching the program in command-line
It may be useful if you wanted to create an icon to launch the program.
- Change to the recently created directory.
- Write the following command:
java -jar desktop.jar
It may be necessary to specify the full path of the java runtime, such as follows:
<JAVA_PATH>/bin/java -jar desktop.jar
The Desktop program is intended to work according to the locale detected automatically -it is obtained from the operating system where the Desktop in running on-.
It is possible to specify a different locale, with the following options, specified at command line:
-Duser.language=LANGUAGE -Duser.country=COUNTRY (optional) -Duser.variant=VARIANT (optional) -Duser.timezone=TIMEZONE (optional)
Where LANGUAGE is the 2-character lowercase language code, according to the ISO 639-1 standard, COUNTRY is the 2-character uppercase country code, according to the ISO 3166-1 standard, and the VARIANT is the variant code.
The following are examples:
1. Running the Desktop program for Italian:
java -Duser.language=it -jar desktop.jar
2. Running the Desktop program for French from France:
java -Duser.language=fr -Duser.country=FR -jar desktop.jar
3. Running the Desktop program for French from Canada:
java -Duser.language=fr -Duser.country=CA -jar desktop.jar
Since the number of different languages and its variants around the world is big, providing a complete set of locales is a huge amount of work, so the availability of an specific one is not guaranteed.
Because the Fōrmulæ project is a collaborative one, an specific locale is available when a volunteer decides to make a translation. If you want to collaborate creating a locale, please contact the author.
If the Desktop program is run with arguments that specifies a locale currently not supported, the English locale will be used.